Is Dermaplaning for Everyone? Here Are the Pros & Cons
Few modern facial procedures provide the level of satisfaction, and instant gratification one gets as a result of dermaplaning treatments. It’s why some call it the ideal “pre-event” treatment for those desirous of the smoothest, barest, and most radiant canvas for applying make-up.
So, what is dermaplaning, and why might one consider this skincare option? Our aestheticians at Amani MedSpa in Valrico, FL, get this question a lot.
Quite simply, dermaplaning is an exfoliating treatment that involves gently scraping the skin’s surface with a surgical scalpel. The procedure removes dead cell buildup from the skin’s surface, and it also gets rid of unwanted vellus hair, also known as “peach fuzz.”
Dermaplaning is safe and virtually painless, and it’s considered by many to be one of the most effective dermatologist-backed solutions for those seeking a smoother complexion.
Dermaplaning, The Pros & Cons
Like all skincare treatments, dermaplaning may not be for everyone. While the procedure can be an effective solution for many who seek a smoother, more vibrant look, we first recommend a consultation before having the procedure.
During this consultation, we’ll go over some of the common pros and cons of dermaplaning. This includes:
- Results Are Immediate: For those we determine are ideal candidates for dermaplaning, the treatment results are near-immediate. Results will vary for everyone, of course, but most treatments reveal a smoother surface with brighter-looking skin.
- Improves Penetration of Skincare Products: With the removal of peach fuzz and the dormant outer layer of skin, we remove any barriers that may prevent skin care products and serums from fully penetrating the body. This, of course, helps these products work more effectively.
- Procedures Are Relatively Quick: Appointments for dermaplaning are relatively quick compared with other skin care treatments, meaning you can often fit them into your lunch hour. And, since little to no healing is required post-treatment, you can confidently go right back to work … and to life.
- Leaves a Smooth, Bare Canvas: Few things are more satisfying than applying makeup following a dermaplaning treatment. Between the smooth, vibrant skin and the lack of hair that can cause clumping, it’s no surprise why people call dermaplaning an idea pre-event treatment.
- Results Are Not Permanent: Unlike other treatments for removing unwanted hair or promoting healthier, more radiant skin, the results of dermaplaning typically last just 4 to 6 weeks. So, to maintain that fresh, clean feeling you get post-appointment, you must regularly repeat the procedure every couple of months.
- Mind Your Sensitive Skin: If you have sensitive skin, dermaplaning may not be the right skincare choice for you. While the procedure is painless for most people, the skin’s repeated scraping can potentially cause pain and redness for those with certain skin conditions.
- Avoid Under Certain Conditions: People with active or cystic acne, considerable facial scarring, or who suffer from certain forms of rosacea should avoid dermaplaning. It’s also not an ideal treatment for those with hormonal imbalances that lead to excessive hair growth. Consult our Amani MedSpa aestheticians for more information and guidance.
In the end, dermaplaning is truly a safe and effective skincare treatment for many who wish to feel refreshed, vibrant and confident in their daily lives. If we determine this procedure isn’t right for you, we are happy to provide you with other treatment options that better suit your goals and conditions.
If you would like to schedule an appointment for dermaplaning in our Valrico, FL medical spa, give us a call today. Our experienced skincare experts are committed to ensuring you get the very best services and treatments for your skin’s unique needs.